Country walks in Lefkada island
The Prefecture of Lefkada, the smallest in Greece, is made up of four islands: Lefkada itself, with Meganisi, Kastos and Kalamos. The prefecture is part of the Region of the Ionian Islands. In the 2001 census the prefecture had a population of 22,506, of whom 20,751 lived on Lefkada. The prefecture’s capital is the town of Lefkada, with 6,903 inhabitants.
Lefkada is the fourth largest of the Greek islands in the Ionian Sea, and lies
to the south of Corfu close to the shore of Aetoloakarnania, of which the ancient Greeks believed it was a peninsula. It is divided from the mainland by the small but historic Drepano Straits, and is elliptical in shape. Formerly the island was known as Agia Mavra (Santa Maoura) from the Church of Agia Mavra built by the Franks in the 13th century at the site of the coastal fort of the same name. Other, smaller islands are situated nearby, including Meganisi, Sparti, Skorpios, Arkoudi, Atokos, Kastos and Kalamos.
Lefkada has numerous picturesque beaches of unrivalled beauty with clear turquoise waters that make it one of the most appealing of Greek, or indeed Mediterranean, islands.
Its landscape also makes it an ideal place for walkers and nature-lovers, who can follow a large number of picturesque paths and trails through ravines and gorges, past natural springs and lush vegetation with rare wild flowers. Visitors can wander along the many paths, enjoying the life of the countryside and absorbing the majesty of the natural landscape and its unique culture.
Basic Walking Equipment
In winter: hiking boots, waterproof and windproof isothermal jacket, trousers and fleece pullover, woollen socks, gloves, cap or hat and scarf.
In summer: hiking boots, light clothes, ideally covering the whole body, hat and sun glasses.
Essential accessories: Torch with spare batteries and bulb; first aid kit; whistle; penknife;waterproof matches and lighter; spare bootlaces; spare underwear and socks; water container; sun cream; toilet paper; snacks (chocolate, muesli bars, fruit, nuts). Spare clothes and shoes are also a good idea.
For carrying equipment: A backpack to carry essential items. It should be waterproof, light, ergonomically designed, with straps and external pockets. It should not fit too close to the back, but should allow space for the skin to breathe.
- Agia Aikaterini - Fryni - Faneromeni Monastery
- Centre of Tsoukalades - Somata
- Church of Zoodochos Pigi (The Life-Giving Spring) - Cyclopean walls
- Kalamitsi - Panayia Kypon Chapel - Watermills
- Walk around the Megali Rachi of Katouna
- Village of Kolyvata - Skaron Forest - Panayia Church
- The Melissa Gorge
- Exantheia path
- Profitis Ilias - Chapel of Agios Stefanos
- Lazarata - Asproyerakata - Kavalos - Spanohori
- Church of Agios Spyridon in Lazarata - Pinakohori - village of Frya
- Karya - Rekatsinata - Agios Konstantinos
- Karya - Epano Vryssi - Karoula
- Englouvi - Agios Donatos - Profitis Ilias - Englouvi
- Waterfalls in Dimosari
- Yeni - Agia Kyriaki
- Walk from the Antelikos fountain
- Vasiliki town hall - Agiofili beach
- Chapel of Agia Paraskevi - Chapel of Agios Savvas at Vournika
- Centre of Marantochori - Harbour of Marantochori
- Agios Ilias walk
- Meganisi, Village of Spartohori - Agios Ioannis
- Vathy harbour - Katomeri - Atherinos harbour
- Episkopi - Kalamos
- Kalamos - Agia Paraskevi
- A walk on Kastos
For your stay in Lefkada you can book a room in one of the hotels and Bed & Breakfast inns.
In the town of Lefkada, as well as in many other areas of the island, there are hotels and accommodations of various categories and types (rooms to let, residences, Bed & Breakfast inns, studios, hostels, guesthouses and furnished apartments) that can satisfy every visitor's demands and needs for a pleasant and enjoyable stay.
You will find wonderful hotels, rooms and apartments to let of all categories and price ranges.
See details for
For your convenience, you can use the route map on the field "Routes" with information about the mileage, the time you need and the route you will follow, selecting the points of interest.