Sightseeing - Serifos Chora
A walk through the city will give you the chance to visit its main sights. Do not forget to visit:
- Piatsa, the scenic, paved, marble square in the heart of Chora, where the City Hall Mansion is.
- The Archeological Collection Museum, with antiquities from the Late Hellenistic and Romaic Period.
- The Folk Museum in Kato Chora.
- The ruins of the Venetian castle on top of a hill.
- The church of Jesus and its chapel of Aghia Sofia, in Kastro.
- The remarkable post Byzantine churches of Aghios Athansios (Metropolitan Church), Evaggelismos, Aghios Eleutherios and Aghios Konstantinos.
- The restored wind mills.
- Paspari, a spring with arches.
- The faucets.
- The coastal settlement Aghios Sostis with its homonym chapel and Lias Bay, 6.5 km E.
- The coastal village Aghios Ioannis with its homonym chapel, 8 km NE.
Sights worth visiting
- The remarkable post Byzantine churches of the area, such as Aghios Nikolaos and Aghios Ioannis Prodromos, with their remarkable frescos of the 17th century.
- The monument dedicated to four miners who were shot during the strike of 1916 fighting for better working conditions. After this bloody strike, the mines were closed permanently.
- The abandoned gold, iron and copper mines, with the deserted mansions and the council houses. The rusty rails, the mine-wagons and storage bin are still preserved in the old mine.
- The nearby Megalo Chorio, which in the period of 1880-1912 was the most important center of the island.
For your stay in Serifos, you can book a room in one of the hotels and Bed & Breakfast inns.
In Serifos town, as well as in many other areas of the island, there are hotels and accommodations of various categories and types (rooms to let, residences, Bed & Breakfast inns, studios, hostels, guesthouses and furnished apartments) that can satisfy every visitor's demands and needs for a pleasant and enjoyable stay.
You will find wonderful hotels, rooms and apartments to let of all categories and price ranges.
In the summertime Serifos is connected daily by sea with Piraeus, Milos with high speed boats (2h 20m duration) and ships (4h 30m). Serifos also is accessible through Serifos, Kimolos, Mikonos, Tinos, Paros, Naxos, Andros, Folegandros, Amorgos, Anafi, Siros and Crete through Milos.
The rest time of the year the timetables vary depending on the season.
The closest airports to Serifos is the airports of Milos and Paros. For emergency situations there is a helipad 3 km away from the centre of Serifos.
For your convenience, you can use the route map on the field “Routes” with information about the mileage, the time you need and the route you will follow, selecting the points of interest.