The traditional boatyard in Pefkakia of Volos
It operates continuously from 1880 to today. Through the preservation of old techniques, tools and traditional work systems, it is a benchmark of the place and the naval tradition.
The boatyard in Pefkakia was founded by Athanasios Christopoulos, who hailed from Syros and knew well the art of the shipbuilder. The shipyard was operating as lift and ship repair for vessels and served all compact vessels of the area.
The paintings are 185, all are of oil on cardboard or tin and the dimensions vary.
But mostly they vary between 40x30 and 50x40.
- 95 paintings depict only one boat (the seascape in folk painting is ship-painting, according to Kitsos Makris).
- 35 paintings have two or more boats together
- 13 portraits (Papadiamandis, Drosinis Theophilus, etc.).
- 21 paintings depict naval battles, ports, shipyards, mermaids.
- 16 paintings with various themes (windmills, “Maides of Makrinitsa”, etc).
There are also likenesses of sailing boats, blissfully scoops, boxes, made by the artist himself.
The exhibition opens to the public, any one day and time, after arrangement.
Admission is free.
Tel: (+030) 24210.88.328