4 greek beaches in CNN's top 100
(CNN) -- Is it possible to rank the world's best beaches?
Of course it is. This is the Internet.
Will everyone agree with our ranking, murmuring respectfully
among themselves about how perfectly accurate every placement is?
Maybe not. This is the Internet.
But that's why we've scoured the planet, demanded answers from our most well traveled friends, colleagues and cohorts, absorbed passionate pleas from readers, researched, investigated and examined the evidence then finally tipped the sand from our shoes, washed the brine from our eyes and put together a pretty good guide to the best beaches on the planet.
Now we turn it over to you.
Consider this list a premise, a platform from which you can jump into a dazzling, turquoise ocean of "further recommendations."
24. Egremni Beach, Lefkada, Greece
Dramatic sunsets, electric-blue water, enough room for everyone: This long stretch of sand on the island of Lefkada has become one of Greece's most popular beach retreats since a road was built in the 1990s.
Worth knowing: Nudists often use the central stretch of beach.
32. Navagio Beach, Zakynthos, Greece
Navagio Beach, or Zakynthos Cove, or Smuggler's Bay, or Shipwreck Cove -- many names exist for this small inlet on the island of Zakynthos. All you need to know is it's gorgeous and the remains of an old ship, reportedly used to smuggle cigarettes before it met its briny demise in 1983, emerge zombie-like from the sand.
Worth knowing: To get here you need to get a taxi-boat from Porto Vromi, leaving every hour.
35. Balos Beach, Crete, Greece
Cameras compulsory. Near Kissamos on Crete, Balos Beach is a lagoon of swirling colors -- pastel pinks, blues and turquoise. It can get crowded and microorganisms in the muddy shallows can cause unpleasant smells, but for postcard pictures it's one of Greece's best.
Highlight: For "dark tourists" there's a cave here that was the scene of a massacre in the 19th century.
100. Falassarna Beach, Crete, Greece
Best thing about the sand at Falassarna? There's so much of it there's little chance of playing beach-mat overlap with strangers. This slice of coast takes in five consecutive beaches, the middle ones being most popular, the ones on the ends better for solitary sun lovers.
Highlight: On the first Saturday of August, thousands descend for Crete's biggest beach party.
CNN's full list of the 100 Beaches worth visiting:
100. Falassarna Beach, Crete, Greece
99. Portstewart Strand, Northern Ireland
98. Pigeon Point, Tobago, Trinidad and Tobago
97. Coffee Bay, Wild Coast, South Africa
96. Ifaty Beach, Madagascar
95. Praia do Sancho, Fernando de Noronha, Brazil
94. Hot Water Beach, Coromandel Peninsula, New Zealand
93. Long Beach, Phu Quoc, Vietnam
92. Meads Bay, Anguilla
91. Bottom Bay, Barbados
90. Paradise Beach, Rab, Croatia
89. Lover's Beach, Baja California Sur, Mexico
88. Byron Bay, Australia
87. Arashi Beach, Aruba
86. An Bang Beach, Hoi An, Vietnam
85. Bandon, Oregon, United States
84. Puka Beach, Boracay, Philippines
83. Ffryes Beach, Antigua
82. La Concha, Spain
81. Las Salinas, Ibiza, Spain
80. Cape Maclear, Malawi
79. Unawatuna, Sri Lanka
78. Jeffreys Bay, South Africa
77. Vilanculos Beach, Mozambique
76. Flamenco Beach, Puerto Rico
75. Oludeniz Beach, Turkey
74. Capo Sant'Andrea, Elba, Italy
73. Venice Beach, California, United States
72. Plage de Piémanson, France
71. Laughing Bird Caye, Belize
70. Punalu'u, Hawaii, United States
69. Los Roques, Venezuela
68. Kaiteriteri Beach, Nelson, New Zealand
67. Belle Mare, Mauritius
66. Skagen Beach, Denmark
65. Isshiki Beach, Hayama, Japan
64. Radhanagar Beach, Andaman Islands, India
63. Pulau Derawan, Indonesia
62. Haad Rin, Ko Pha Ngan, Thailand
61. Essaouira, Morocco
60. Beidaihe, China
59. Na'ama Bay, Sharm el Sheikh, Egypt
58. Akajima, Okinawa, Japan
57. Abaka Bay, Haiti
56. Diani Beach, Kenya
55. Phra Nang Beach, Railay, Thailand
54. Cavendish Beach, Prince Edward Island, Canada
53. Little Corn beaches, Nicaragua
52. Southwestern Beach, Koh Rong, Cambodia
51. Panama City Beach, Florida, United States
50. Porto da Barra, Salvador, Brazil
49. Tanjung Rhu, Langkawi, Malaysia
48. Trunk Bay, St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands
47. Placencia Beach, Belize
46. Natadola Beach, Fiji
45. Patnem Beach, Goa, India
44. Bondi Beach, Sydney, Australia
43. Nungwi, Zanzibar, Tanzania
42. D-Day beaches, Normandy, France
41. Negril Beach, Jamaica
40. Dominical Beach, Costa Rica
39. Canggu Beach, Bali, Indonesia
38. Karekare, West Auckland, New Zealand
37. West Bay Beach, Roatan, Honduras
36. Bahia Solano, Colombia
35. Balos Beach, Greece
34. Cayo Paraiso, Dominican Republic
33. Margaret River Beach, Australia
32. Navagio Beach, Greece
31. Playa Paraiso, Cayo Largo, Cuba
30. Grand Anse, Grenada
29. Warwick Long Bay, Bermuda
28. Sunrise Beach, Koh Lipe, Thailand
27. Hanalei Bay, Hawaii, United States
26. Long Bay, Saint-Martin
25. Sun Island Beach, Maldives
24. Egremni Beach, Greece
23. Crane Beach, Barbados
22. Boulders Beach, Cape Town
21. Juara Beach, Tioman Island, Malaysia
20. Rarotonga, Cook Islands
19. Maya Bay, Ko Phi Phi, Thailand
18. Gardner Bay, Espanola Island, Ecuador
17. Nihiwatu Beach, Sumba, Indonesia
16. Luskentyre Beach, Scotland
15. The Baths, Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands
14. El Nido, Palawan, Philippines
13. Pulau Perhentian Kecil, Malaysia
12. Tulum, Mexico
11. Whitehaven Beach, Queensland, Australia
10. Palaui Island, Cagayan Valley, Philippines
9. Champagne Beach, Vanuatu
8. Matira Beach, Bora Bora, Tahiti
7. Wineglass Bay, Tasmania
6. Cabbage Beach, Paradise Island, Bahamas
5. Anse de Grande Saline, St. Barths
4. Anse Source d'Argent, La Digue, Seychelles
3. Grace Bay, Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands
2. Rabbit Beach, Lampedusa, Italy
1. Grande Anse Beach, La Digue Island, Seychelles