Cultural event in Paxos
On the island of Paxos many valuable cultural tradition events take place throughout the year. Some of the most important are:
- On Shrove Monday, the "koulouma" are celebrated in Lakka, at "Rinio" and at Fountana stadium. In Lakka, there are events with songs and dances referring to religion but also to love (as in the Dionysian rites). Then comes the burning of the carnival in the middle of the square while around it the young people are singing and dancing.
- On Good Friday, Epitafios procession starts at noon from Nisi of Panagia and in the evening passes through the picturesque streets and the beach of Gaios.
- On Good Saturday morning, the First Resurrection is traditionally takes place to St. Iakovos, at Platanos village (or Fountana), where, at the time of the "Anasta o Kyrios", the congregation inside rhythmically is beating the pews while outside firecrackers, fireworks and rifles are sounding.
- On Easter Monday (Nia Monday) processions are made by the depositing of the icon of each church to another for a certain period of time, during which daily prayers are performed.
- Specifically, Panagia descends from Nisi at Gaios and stays for twenty days in Velianitika.
- The icons of St. Haralambos and Eleousa go to Gaios and from there climb to Mpogdanatika and stay there for a week.
- Finally, the icon of Candlemas goes to Lakka and remains there until the feast of Zoodochos Pigi and from there continues to Loggos, Magazia and then returns back.
- On June 29, Saint Gaios day, the icon’s procession of Saint goes to Gai, by the presence of the Bishop and Corfiot bands. Specially chartered ferry boat transfers the visitors to and from Corfu.
- In mid-July is the festival of "neroladias", when free bread with olives and onion are offered, boiled potatoes, wine, and the local orchestra is playing traditional music.
- Every year in July “barcarolla” takes place. Choirs in boats, which are sailing in the channel of Gaios, the people are singing serenades while the fireworks light up the sky.
- In AntiPaxos, on 18 July, takes place the traditional feast of St. Emilianos.
- In Lakka occurs, on July 20, the celebration of Prophet Elias.
- On the island of Panagia takes place the most important festival of the island on 15 August, with the procession of the icon of Assumption, while wine and beef broth are offered to the people.
- Each September takes place the Classical Music Festival, co-organized by the Cultural Association of Paxos and by the Festival Trust Limited, with foreign and local artists.
Information: Municipality of Paxos
For your stay in Paxos, you can book a room in one of the hotels and Bed & Breakfast inns.
In Gaios, as well as in many other areas of the island, there are hotels and accommodations of various categories and types (rooms to let, residences, Bed & Breakfast inns, studios, hostels, guesthouses and furnished apartments) that can satisfy every visitor's demands and needs for a pleasant and enjoyable stay.
You will find wonderful hotels, rooms and apartments to let of all categories and price ranges.
You can access Paxos by car through Igoumenitsa.
The best way to explore the area is to have your own car and is worth visiting places that are not accesible by the local public transport and tours.
The distances on the island are short and can be covered by public means of transport.
Daily ferry routes are scheduled from and towards Igoumenitsa to Paxos (Gaios) and Corfu via Igoumenitsa.
See details for
For your convenience, you can use the route map on the field “Διαδρομές” with information about the mileage, the time you need and the route you will follow, selecting the points of interest.